Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hidden Treasures from the past

Tonight as I was unpacking yet another box of books... too many to count, I came across an old journal. Now, for a person who loves to write, I have been an utter failure at keeping a regular journal. This particular journal was from 1996. As I was browsing through the (few) pages, I came across some funny things I had written about my older kids when they were little, so I started to read some of them outloud to them, which they really enjoyed, as did the younger children. Frankly, I had the rapt attention of everyone.

I can't believe how many things I have forgotten... really important things that may seem insignificant to the world, but are priceless treasures to my family. Why, oh why, have I not kept a better journal? It was WONDERFUL to sit around with my DH and kids and laugh (and cry) about the old times. We all laughed when I was reading about our sweet little Emily being born, and then turned the page and she was two! We laughed, but its really not so funny. How much did I miss during those two years that I can never remember?

We also cried (well, I did big time) when I read the following, dated April 13, 1997, when we were expecting our fifth child...

"Things have been very tight financially for us. At times, I've wondered how we've managed to keep a roof over our heads. I do know it is the Lord's blessings. I returned yesterday from an overnight Youth Leadership retreat in Deer Valley, UT. After arriving home, found that we only had $20.00 left. I knew already that this Monday's paycheck had already been delegated to pay our rent and there would be no money for groceries, except a few for diapers for Cody. On Thursday, I had gone through what food storage we have left and made up a 10 day menu. Upon doing so, I found that we didn't have enough food to make 10 meals. We would have had enough rice, macaroni and flour for bread and enough powdered milk, but there would not be enough meat and cheese, etc. to be able to make healthy, palatable meals that the kids would probably eat. It would be quite difficult for the kids to eat plain noodles several days straight. To say the least, I have been greatly troubled by the situation. How am I to feed my little ones?

As I said, we had twenty dollars left for the next ten days, which I could have stretched and been able to buy the food I needed for my family. It really wasn't a hard decision to make. We knew that today would be Fast Sunday, and we knew we needed to pay our fast offerings. So, we wrote out a tithing & donation slip and put the money inside.

Just a short while later there came a knock at the door. It was brother Roskelley from the Bishopric. He was there with an igloo full of meat, cheese, hamburger buns, and chips (and soda). It was the leftover food from the Youth Retreat I had just returned from, which we were planning to freeze for an upcoming dinner the the youth were doing for the new move-ins from the ward. Bro. Roskelley said he and the Bishop felt that we needed it and wanted us to have it instead.

I have been asking for a stronger testimony on the importance of paying our tithes and offerings and I sure got one. I know the Lord is mindful of us and our needs and I am so grateful for His blessings. If we keep the commandments, the Lord will bless us and keep His promises.

We now have enough meat and cheese for me to fix well-balanced meals."

Prior to reading my journal entry, I had no recollection of this incredible spiritual experience. Even now, it is vague, but my children will have this testimony for the rest of their lives because I wrote it down. I am determined not to kick myself for the many other testimonies of faith that I missed writing down, but rather am resigned to not miss any more. No matter what else is going on, I will MAKE time. This lesson has shown me how vital it is, and perhaps one day my children will read my experiences and testimony during a time in their lives when they need strength and help and I'm not there.

4 comments:

mr catch said...

Thanks for sharing this!

mr catch said...

By the way - from Connie

Anonymous said...

What a great and inspiring post! It's so true - I too love to write but am terrible with keeping journals in my older age! :P You have inspired me to recommit. They may not be in full and coherent sentences, but I can manage a word or two here and there. :)

Cathleen said...

What a good reminder to keep a journal. I have been terrible in that aspect. My husband keeps his blog and the family blog fairly up to date. I haven't updated my blog since last August. I like the idea that you can turn blogs into books...then it is kind of like journaling with the stories, pictures, and comments.
You've made me think though....I'm sad at the the things that will never be remembered. I used to have an excellent memory and thought I could count on that forever. It must be old age or so many kids, but I can hardly remember what I did just moments ago. I need to journal! Thanks for the inspiration.