Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Legend of the Fourth Wiseman

Ahhh - what would Christmas be without new holiday "legends". Well, this one is sure to go down in the annals of history, at least in the Forsyth household.

Every Christmas Eve since I can remember, Steven and I have gathered our children together to celebrate our Savior's birth through scripture, song, stories, and a live nativity. We always read from Luke, and we sing EVERY verse of the hymns and carols (even though everyone else is rolling their eyes at Mom). Some years, each individual shares their testimony of the Savior through a talent (writing a poem, singing a song, playing a carol on the guitar, piano, etc.). Its always a deeply spiritual time for us. Some years we have guests, some years its just us.

This past Christmas (2008) was no exception. We had both sets of Grandparents here (a first), and a few other relatives. Emily (in her mother's footsteps as always) directed the other children all week in their roles and costuming for their parts in the Nativity. Dallen was all 3 Wisemen as Adam, Brandon, and Cody are all no longer fit for the parts, but they served nicely as our 3 Wise Guys. Ivie reprised her role (from church) as the ever-devoted and loving mother, Mary. Ivie's beloved, Dollar-Store baby doll, Sarah, went through a slight metamorphosis to be the newborn babe in the manger (which we always keep by our Christmas tree). Our seven year old, Noah, took on the supporting role of Joseph. Nathan didn't actually have a part, but practiced his improvisational skills as the "little lost lamb", meandering throughout the Nativity scene as it progressed.

The stage was set, the actors were prepared, and the audience was awaiting this wonderful scene. We opened with strains of "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful" (my favorite carol, in case you were wondering), and as we sang and read from the book of Luke, our little actors met their cues. Mary came in riding on the donkey (and really, anyone of us could have played that part). Emily had cast herself in this cameo, however. Noah guided his "betrothed" in. We had to say that they were "betrothed" because Noah had it written into his SAG contract that he would play "no married parts". So, "betrothed" it was. The baby was placed gently in the manger... and may I just say here that after 8 natural child-births of my own... Mary is my all-time hero. There was no screaming, pain, blood, NOTHING.

After singing "With Wondering Awe" (all verses again), our Wiseman came in bearing gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. I'm being really silly here, but it truly was sweet and touching. We finished our little scene and our devotional. It was great.

Well - in order to have enough memory on my camera card for Christmas morning pictures, I uploaded my previously taken pictures onto my computer, including the Nativity pics. Well - lo and behold. That's when I saw the Christmas miracle. What had not been seen in the play was now clearly visible on the big screen computer monitor. Not only had the Wiseman brought gold, frankinscense and myrrh to the manger, but Joseph, himself, had brought a gift for the newborn. He had brought jewels, as in the FAMILY kind. Yep, one of the pictures showing Joseph half-kneeling was quite "revealing". Talk about a prime-time wardrobe malfuntion. (No, I'm not posting it here). I brought Noah (Joseph) in and said, "Do you know how I'm always telling you how important it is to have on underwear?" He says, "Uh-huh." "Well - this is WHY -------" and I point to the computer screen. Noah laughed himself silly, and the next morning when he opened his package of underwear... he was actually so happy he kissed them.

This Christmas will always be remembered as the year that The Fourth Wiseman brought gifts of jewels. (P.S. I'm holding onto the pictures, just for insurance purposes....)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is hilarious! Now I get what your "jewel" comment was on my FB wall! lol! Memories to last a lifetime, I'm sure... :)

Nikki said...

That was HILARIOUS! Thanks for a great laugh!

Larry said...

Blackmail is against the law, even when it is against one of your offspring. I have a few stories of my own that I will not share, but some of my children live in fear that I may just pop out a picture or story from their past.

Rocky Mountain Girl said...

LOL! What a great story and what a great memory! Funny! - Lynnette